Monday, November 2, 2009

VIRTUAL IMAGININGS, a short story that includes one of my pieces, now available.

Greetings, fellow Bearers!

More exciting news from the homefront!  The short story anthology VIRTUAL IMAGININGS is now available on Amazon!  This is an eclectic assembly of works from various authors assembled together for your enjoyment.  All proceeds from this book will go toward research for a cure for breast cancer.

I had a great time helping out with this project.  The other authors are very talented writers, and for me to include one of my stories in this analogy is a real honor, because the people with whom I collaborated are REALLY good writers, who know their stuff.  My piece is entitled "The Accordion", a short little creepy story that was inspired by a real-life incident told to me by one of my students. 

It's really amazing what kind of inspiration you can get from real life.  When I first started writing, I tried to go way off the deep end in trying to get ideas.  What I've learned since then is much better:  all you have to do is take a situation in real life-preferably one that you have personal experience with-and "twist" the situation just a little bit.  Not only do you make it easier on yourself in some ways, but you also relate to your audience a whole lot better.  Stephen King and Ray Bradbury were very influential on me in that regard; they are both masters at doing this. 

The other thing that helps is not growing up :D.  I learned that from Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who said that he stopped growing up at eight years old.  Keep that young imagination, and you'll never starve for ideas.

So check the book out and enjoy it! And like everything else: if you liked it, tell other people about it. 

Well, until next time, it's back to work for me.  Like a moron, I left my flashdrive with the second Vein novel on it back home (ask my wife about my amnesia-particularly when it comes to "honey-do" lists).  Instead, I'm starting up another short story for one of my students.  I tell ya, if you want great ideas for short stories, work in a junior high or high school for a while and get to know your students.  You'll get lots of material to work with.

See you in the Vein!

J. Dean
 

No comments:

Post a Comment