Friday, October 23, 2009

Weekend calling...

Well, didn't get a whole lot accomplished in writing this week, unfortunately. But I have been working on the re-edit of CLADE JOSSO, still cleaning it up for publication on Smashwords for the kindle owners. Hopefully, that will broaden my audience a bit as well, since Smashwords gets in with Barnes and Noble.

Inspiration comes in the funniest ways for a writer. For me as a teacher, it's the lives of my students which they share in detail with me-whether or not I want to hear it. Got another inspiration from a student who apparently has no love at all for anything scary. That's giving me some great ideas *evil grin* although horror isn't really my strongest genre.

Something I've learned about writing, though, is that if you know how to cross genres and do it tastefully, you can get a much broader audience. CLADE JOSSO is hardly a "horror novel" per se, but it does have within it elements of horror. Same with the science fiction; I'm much more comfortable labeling it as "fantasy" than science fiction, but there IS an element of scifi to it. You've got to be careful doing this, though, because if you're too scattered with your work, you'll end up attracting nobody. There's a saying that goes "A master does not do a thousand things; he does one thing a thousand times." Pick and master a particular genre, and THEN you can move on to expanding your genres.

Well, that's all for now. I'm still waiting for the votes on putting up sections of my Omnibus for perusal, but from what I've gathered from others personally, it's a good idea to do so anyway. Let me know your thoughts on this!

And now, it's time to get ready to ditch work and say hello to two days of family, fellowship, and FOOTBALL!!

See you in the Vein!

J. Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment