Thursday, March 18, 2010

A new short story and a disclaimer to go along with it....

Greetings, Bearers!

Once again, I come to you with some good news:  I have finished and published another short story on Smashwords, entitled "Nick."  Considering that I've gotten over sixty hits on it in about two days, and all of that with very little advertising, I'm pretty happy!  Makes me feel pretty important-either that, or people are pretty desperate to read something free ;)  (I'm kidding... I appreciate those of you who like my free stuff as well.  It's fun to write, although it's not my main focus).

Now, I need to put up a disclaimer about "Nick," because of how it's categorized. When I set up the settings for the story on Smashwords, I clicked on the option "My book contains adult content."  But this is NOT-I repeat, NOT-because this story is erotica.  It does have reference to an affair, but I set this up so that it would be done tastefully and still convey the understanding of what the protagonist did in the story.  Just to let you know up front, I don't like writing erotica-at all.  Call me a prude or whatever, but I prefer implied reference over explicit explanation.  Erotica to me distracts from the story, and as far as I'm concerned, cheapens it.  I realize that not everybody shares my opinion on this matter, nor am I demanding it of anybody else, but it's a point I'm not changing my mind on.

Why I DID categorize it as having adult content is because the story has an element of gruesomeness to it that's not found in my other stories.  Overall I'm not too fond of gory elements.  If you give me a choice between a story that emphasizes scary vs. a story that emphasizes splatter effect, I'll take the scary movie anytime.  However, I will use gore if it fits the story, and there's a bit of it in "Nick", enough to describe what's going on, so if you're a super-squeamish person, this one might not be for you.

So enjoy the short story, and I'll be back tomorrow with a little bit of a treat for you.


See you in the Vein!


J. Dean   

No comments:

Post a Comment